Tuesday, October 22, 2013

day 115 : know when to walk away

happy Tuesday, everybody!
{I am laying in bed & need to get this out before I can sleep}
today's good deed could end up being super wordy ; but I will try to control myself.
{also, no photos because I am on my phone & using the blogger app}

this morning , I posted an article and my opinion on Facebook. {that is what it's for, right? ;)} and someone totally misinterpreted my point // meaning {also what Facebook is all about, yeah?}

she blew up my comment wall and somewhere along the line became combative and argumentative. after 8 comments, she started private messaging me. over the course of the DAY, she continued to send messages. she said her feelings were hurt and thought I was rude for the opinion I inserted into the article // my status.
she called me names, questioned my character and accused me of faking the idea that I promote kindness.

eventually she deleted me from all social media channels and posted some passive statements about behavior and being nice.

so, where does the good deed come in?
I stopped engaging with her. I am assuming she so badly wanted to get her point across and 'win' the argument ; so I let her.
I let her get the last word. she wanted to end the conversation and take a few jabs before she deleted me, and she did.
{sometimes chasing someone who has their mind made up is just a massive waste of energy}

I know who I am.
I recognize that in life, some folks might not agree with our opinions. some folks want to ignore your explanation and continue to fight.
I do not believe that having an opinion makes you rude.
I don't believe that standing behind your statements makes you inauthentic and hypocritical.

I really do believe in kindness. I believe in being nice to people. I also believe it's dishonest to assume that we all wear 'rose-colored kindness glasses' that enable us to stay away from conflict for all the days of our lives.
when challenged, there is a time to talk and there is a time to step away.
it's important to know the difference.

see you all tomorrow!






2 comments:

  1. "when challenged, there is a time to talk and there is a time to step away.
    it's important to know the difference."

    Sometimes easier said than done, but as I was reading through the comments that unfolded yesterday, I completely think you did the right thing. Proud of you for knowing when to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work my friend. Don't let it weigh you down.

    ReplyDelete